by Dimos

GUIDE TO PARIS
print and take with you

The following have been copied from
www.paris.org 
www.paris-ile-de-france.com
www.paris-tourism.com
www.parisdigest.com
www.w3i.com/eng/home.htm
www.travel-in-paris.com/
Many more links

Metro/Subway/Underground

Bus 42 will take you around all monuments for just one ticket (1 billet)

In Paris you have a METRO (M), a Train (RER) and Busses (BUS) and you have trains that take you outside the city (T)

You can get a one-way metro ticket or "carnet" of ten tickets at some small discount.

When you come to Paris, consider the Paris Visite card. It gives you unlimited access to the metro, RER and buses plus free access to many museums. A three zones ("trois zones") card covers Paris and a number of surrounding towns.

 

MUSEUMS-ATTRACTIONS

Museum Pass: www.intermusees.com gives you FREE no waiting access to 70 museums and monuments. You get a brochure that has the location (metro/subway/underground stop) and hours of operation. GOOD DEAL
You can buy them from any museum.

Also, Pompidou, Louvre, d'Orsay, Rodin, Picasso and some others are open to the public for Free the First Sunday of each month.
Arc de Triomphe, Conciergerie, Notre-Dame. Pantheon, Sainte Chapelle,  Basilique Saint-Dennis, and others are Free the First Sunday of each month between October 1st and May 31st inclusive.


George Pompidou Center

Not far from Les Halles, the Centre Beaubourg or better known as the Pompidou Center,created a lot of mixed feelings with its radical architectural design. Built in the 1970's, President Pompidou was the originator of this museum. He wanted to make accessible the contemporary art (modern art, film, music, books, and pedagogy), to the widest possible public. The architects Renzo Piano and Richard Rogers had chosen to construct a building with visible, external Organs, free from traditional aesthetic constraints, in order to leave all of the interior space available. pompidou.gif (25346 bytes)

Officially inaugurated in the beginning of 1977, the Art Center is unique in Europe and rivals the best-adapted centers in the United States. It is devoted to every form of contemporary art. The Pompidou Center is divided into five floors : Temporary exhibitions in the Grande Galerie on the fifth floor; Museum of Modern Art from 1905 to present time on third and fourth floors The huge public library covers three floors with books, video-discs, microfilms, videos.. A movie-theater celebrating the 7th art with festivals according to special themes on 1st floor

To get a closer look at the Arc de Triomphe, you can take an underpass on the Champs-Elysees or Avenue de la Grande Armee that leads you to the center of the plaza. Cultural centers, deluxe hotels and other activities that participate in the tradition and prestige of the Champs-Elysees are encouraged to return by the municipality.

How to get there Metro line 1 or 11 : Rambuteau, Hotel de Ville, Chatelet RER A, B or D : Chatelet-les Halles Bus : 38, 47, 72, 76, 85

Opening times 11am-21pm. Closed Tuesday

Suggestion: Must go!

 

Arc de Triomphe (at the top of Champs-Elyses Ave.)

Situated in the middle of Place de l'Etoile - Charles de Gaulle, here is buried an Unknown French Soldier from World War I. Napoleon commissioned the construction in 1806, but it was completed only in 1836, during the reign of Louis Philippe. However, the rest of the "Place de L'Etoile" was not finished until 1854. Haussman, responsible for redesigning Paris (1853-1870), added another seven avenuesto the existing five ones of them stretching up to the boulevard called after him.

There is an excellent view, overlooking the Champs-Elysées, on one side the Grande Arche from the Défense and on the other side the Obelisk from the Place de la Concorde.

ArcdeTriomphe.gif (25346 bytes)

The Arc de Triomphe and its massive piers are decorated with bas reliefs depicting scenes from the revolutionary era (including the First Empire). To the right on the side facing the Champs-Elysees is the Marseillaise by Rude (the departure of the volunteers to the front in 1792); to the left is Napoleon's Triumph of 1810 by Cortot. The resistance of 1814 and the Peace of 1815 are on the other side, modestly facing away from the city.

To get a closer look at the Arc de Triomphe, you can take an underpass on the Champs-Elysees or Avenue de la Grande Armee that leads you to the center of the plaza. Cultural centers, deluxe hotels and other activities that participate in the tradition and prestige of the Champs-Elysees are encouraged to return by the municipality.

How to get there Metro line 1,2 or 6 : Charles-de-Gaulle-Étoile RER A : Charles-de-Gaulle-Étoile

Opening times 1st Oct to 31st March 10h to 22h30 Tues. to Sat. 10h to 18h sun. & mon. 1st April to 30th Sept. 9h30 to 23h Tues. to Sat.

Suggestion: We have not been inside

 

Champs-Élysées(famous avenue)

The glamour of the Champs-Élysées, particularly its upper end, may not be quite what it was, dominated as it is by airline offices, car showrooms, and bright, light shopping arcades. But there's still the Lido cabaret, Fouquet's high-class bar and restaurant, and plenty of cinemas and outrageously priced cafes to bring the punters in. At Christmas this is where the fairy lights go, and on December 31 everyone happily jams in, in their cars, to hoot in the New Year. The new landscaping project has removed the avenue's side lanes where cars used to prowl in search of parking spaces, and now pedestrians have an equal share of the avenue's width, with shade from more trees. Cultural centers, deluxe hotels and other activities that participate in the tradition and prestige of the Champs-Elysees are encouraged to return by the municipality

The stretch between the Rond-Point roundabout - whose Lalique glass fountains disappeared during the German occupation - and Concorde is bordered by chestnut trees and municipal flower beds, pleasant enough to stroll among, but not sufficiently dense to muffle the squeal of accelerating tyres. The two massive buildings rising above the greenery to the south are the Grand and Petit Palais, with their overloaded Neoclassical exteriors, rail station roofs and exuberant flying statuary. They house a number of museums and the Grand Palais is the address for major cultural exhibitions, curtailed at the moment due to major restoration works.

On the north side, combat police guard the high walls round the presidential Elysee palace and the line of ministries and embassies ending with the US in prime position on the corner of place de la Concorde. On Thursdays and at weekends you can see a stranger manifestation of the self-images of states in the postage stamp market at the corner of avenues Gabriel and Marigny.

How to get there Metro line 1, 2, 6, 8, 9, 12 or 13: Charles-de-Gaulle-Étoile, GeorgeV, Champs-Elysées Clemenceau, Concorde RER A : Charles-de-Gaulle-Étoile

 

 

National Museum of Modern Art

It's one of the most important modern art museum of the world included in the Centre Georges Pompidou. It presents all the evolutions in the XXth century plastic art : fauvism, cubism, surrealism, abstraction, new realism and Pop Art. More than 33000 works of art are on display : paintings, sculptures, photographs...

The museum is divided in three parts : historic collection from 1905 to 1960 with Picasso, Matisse, Braque, Miro's works, the « tendencies » where young artists display, temporary exhibitions.

The Collection

The Museum of Modern Art is well worth visiting for its selection of the major art movements of the twentieth century. You can find well-known artists such as Vlaminck, Zadkine, Picasso,Braque, Juan Gris, Valadon, Matisse, Dufy, Utrillo, Delaunays, Chagall, Modigliani, Léger and many others, as well as by sculpture and painting by contemporary artists. Among the most spectacular works on permanent show are Roben and Sonia Delaunay's huge whirling wheels and cogs of rainbow colour; the pale leaping figures of Matisse's La Danse; and Dufy's enormous mural, La Fée Electricité, illustrating the story of electricky from Aristotle to the then modern power station, in 250 Iyrical, colourful panels filling three entire walls is considered like one of the biggest interior paintings. The upper floors of the gallery are reserved for all sorts of contemporary and experimental work, including music and photography. In the bookshop are a number of artists' designs, among them a set of Sonia Delaunay's playing cards, guaranteed to rejuvenate the most jaded cardsharp.

How to get there Metro line 6 or 9 : Iéna, Trocadero.

Opening times Tuesday to friday : 10 am to 5.30 pm Saturday ans Sunday : 10 am to 7 pm Closed Monday

Suggestion: We went with the Museum Pass and they did not let us see much because most of the rooms had special exhibits (not covered by the Museum Pass)

 

The Trocadero

Trocadero.jpg (35262 bytes)
Chaillot Palace rebuilt by Carlu, Boileau and Azéma for the 1937 World Exhibition, stands on the site of Trocadero. Its entrance is on the semi-circular place of Trocadero. On the other side, there is a wonderful view on the Eiffel Tower, the gardens and the pool from a large terrace. Two pavilions compose the Palais de Chaillot. In one of it, there are the Chaillot National Theater, known as the TNP, the Cinema Museum and the Museum of French Monuments. In the other one, the Maritime Museum and the Museum of Mankind take place.

How to get there: Across the river from the Eiffel Tower.

Suggestion: Ok for a picture. 

 

The Eiffel Tower

The Eiffel tower is the capital's point of view and Paris best known monument. When it was erected, it was long the tallest construction in the World. Originally built to impress visitors to the Universal Exhibition of 1889, hated or loved, the Tower is now the symbol of Paris.

History

In 1889, when the Tour Eiffel was completed, it was the tallest building in the world at 300m. The Tour Eiffel was originally built as a tempory structure to commemorate the centenary of the Revolution. And since, the Eiffel Tower has become an enduring symbol of the city of Paris. The Tour was originally built for the 1889 Exposition. This steel construction defied all traditional rules in architecture. It is now the television transmitter for the greater Paris region. The Tour selected by a competition which was won by Gustave Eiffel, an engineer who had experience of constructing high level railway viaducts. In the public eye, the tower had many mixed opinions, celebrated and loathed in equal measure. Throughout its construction, the residents became convinced that it would collapse, and Eiffel had to personally assure them. The author Guy de Maupassant left Paris permanently to avoid looking at its 'metallic carcass' but others who espoused more self-consciously modern views championed the tower: Seurat and Douanier Rousseau were among the first to paint it, in 1889 and 1890 respectively. On a clear day, it is possible to see Chartres Cathedral from the high level viewing platform. Eiffel.gif (11073 bytes)

The "Tower"

There are three floors. The first is at 57 m., the second at 115m., and the third at 276 m. The top of the aerial is 320 m. above the ground. And on a nice day, you an see from the top of the platform, the whole of Paris and even the distant suburbs.

The 12,000 steel girders are held together by 2,500,000 rivets to produce a smooth, curving profile. Its functional elegance heralded the dawn of Industrial Art, and has met with much sarcastic comment from more conservative observers ever since it was finished in 1889.

And in 1986 the external night-time floodlighting was replaced by a system of illumination from within the tower's superstructure, so that it now looks at its magical best after dark.

How to get there Metro line 6 : Bir Hakeim Bus: 42, 69, 72, 82 RER C : Champs de Mars

Opening times Via lift: January to March : 9.30 am to 11 pm March to July : 9 am to ll pm July to September : 9 am to midnight September to December : 9 am to llpm Last admitance 1 hour before closing.

Suggestion: We did not go up

 

"The Invalides"

History

In 1670, founded a hospital for his invalid soldiers, the King Louis XIV adopted plans by Liberal Bruant and the work started in 1671 and was finished in 1676. This hospital could house up to 4000 patients.

Design

The principal facade, which stretches on both sides of the immense semicircular-arched doorway, whose pilasters lie on statues of Mars and Minerva, Warring Valour and Armed Wisdom, by Guillaume Coustou. On the pediment there is a statue of Louis XIV on horseback, by the same Coustou; a story with three large bay windows surmounts the main entrance. All of these openings are in the form of semicircular arches. The entrance is flanked by two doors under bulls'-eyes. The arch of the pediment, the tops of windows, and the bulls'-eyes are adorned with garlands and cable moulding. The sober blocks of buildings are given rhythm by the openings, the higher ones smaller than the lower; arched bays on the ground floor and rectangular bays on the three higher floors. A cornice emphasizes the third, and gable windows adorned with sculpted weapons border the roof. Two pavilions frame the facade. In front of it lies a garden enclosed by ramparts a la Vauban, lined with 17th and 18th century cannon. Created by Robert de Cotte between 1704 and 1720, beyond the garden extends the immense esplanade.

invalides.gif (21929 bytes)

"The Invalides"

Beneath the dome lies two churches : One for the soldiers, and the other intended as a mausoleum for the king but now containing the mortal remains of Napoleon. The Esplanade leads from the Quai d'Orsay through a formal garden to the the majestic facade of Les Invalides. In an arch above the large central portal is an eques- trian portrait of the Sun King supported by Prudence and Justice. Behind this is the splendid cour d'honneur which now houses the Army Museum in its north-west wing. Today, Les Invalides is a museum, monument and is used for military purposes.

How to get there Metro line 8 : Latour-Maubourg, RER C : Invalides Buses : 32, 63, 93

Opening times October to March : 10am to 5pm April to September : 10am to 6pm

Suggestion: Impressive. Worth seeing if time permits

 

Museum Rodin

The museum houses the world's greatest collection of Rodin's sculpture and drawings like Les Bourgeois de Calais, Le Penseur, Balzac, La Porte de l'Enfer, Ugolini et fils are exhibited in the garden. Indoors are works in marble like Le Baiser, La Main de Dieu, La Cathédrale - those two perfectly poised. There is something particularly fascinating about those works, such as Romeo and Juliet and La Centauresse, which are only, as it were, half-created, not totally liberated from the raw block of stone. There are also paintings by Renoir, Monet and Van Gogh.

How to get there Subway (ligne 13) : Varenne Bus : 69. 82. 87. 92. Car park : Bd. Des Invalides

Opening Times: The Museum is open every day except Monday from 9.30 am till 5.45 p.m (04/01 - 09/30). from 9.30 am till 6.45 p.m (10/01 - 03/31) The park closes at 6.45 p.m. The cash desk closes at 5.15 p.m.

Suggestion: Worth seeing particulary the gate to Hell!

 

Assemblée Nationale

Built in 1722 for the Duchesse de Bourbon, daughter of Louis XIV, the Palais Bourbon was confiscated during the Revolution. It has been home of the French Parliament since 1830.

 

History

The National Assembly or Congress known as the Bourbon Palace, was built by 4 different architects. Ordered by the Duchess of Bourbon daughter of Louis the XIVth and Madame de Montespan the first work began in 1722, by , Giraldini and was completed in 1728 by Lassurance, Gabriel and Aubert. Bought by Louis the XVth to ornate the Place de la Concorde it will later be joined by the Hotel de Lassay next door. Confiscated under the revolution it will be used as the meeting place of the Council of the Five Hundreds then to host the brand new Ecole Polytechnique from 1794 to 1804. The frontage of the French Assembly, built by Poyet in 1804 and completed in 1807, matches the Madeleine church. The frontage of the courtyard opening on the other side is typically 19th century, with its vast colonnade framing high windows.

Assemblee Nationale.jpg (83027 bytes)
 

The National Assembly

Interior: the Royal Drawing room and the Library are decorated in the Romantic style, and hung with paintings by Delacroix. The aristocratic quarter built at the end of the "Ancien Regime" runs into Boulevard St.Germain .

assemblee.gif (18542 bytes)

The Surroundings

Do not leave until you have taken a look at some of the buildings, such as the number 78, rue de Lille, the Hotel de Beauharnais, with its Egyptian-style portico added in 1803, has beautiful Empire style interior decoration. Number 64, rue de Lille, the Hotel de Salm (1784), headquarter- of the Legion d'Honneur, shows the return to the Classical style towards the end of the 18th century - in its triumphal archway, and ionic porticoes. At the far end of the courtyard is a semi-circular pavilion with simple window decorations which make you forget the austerity of the neo-classical frontage.

How to get there Metro 12 : Assemblée Nationale RER C : Musee d'Orsay

Suggestion: Just another builiding to walk by.

 

The Madeleine

History and Design

The Madeleine is an obese Napoleonic structure on the classical temple model which was built for the emperor as yet another monument to the victory of his army. Following many vicissitudes and changes of plan, the present building is now a windowless edifice with a Greek temple facade of Corinthian columns 20 metres high. Work on the church was begun in I764. However, following the death ofthe architect in I777 a new scheme was considered, and a Greekcross building begun. Well before its completion the revolutionary government dreamt up more rational uses for the building in progress. Napoleon decided on a Temple of Glory dedicated to the Great Army and in I806 commissioned Barthelemy Vignon to build it. After the erection of the colonnades, Louis XVIII, restored to power in I8I4, ordered that the temple be once more a church.

Unlike the exterior, the interior is lavishly overdecorated. At the east end a series of frescoes celebrates heroes of Christianity in a span which includes, surprisingly, Napoleon. Sculpted by Lemaire, the pediment represents the Last Judgement J.C. baptism by Rude.

Surrounding areas

And, just outside the Madeleine, along the east side , you can find every day except Monday, a beautiful flower market. Also, a luxurious Art Nouveau loo by the metro at the junction of place and boulevard de la Madeleine. But the greatest appeal of place de la Madeleine is the famous "Fauchon"delicatessen shop, in the northeast corner. And, down the west side for rich gourmets and window-gazers you'll find the smaller Hédiard's, as well as caviar, truffle and spirit specialists.

How to get there: Metro line 8 or 12 : Madeleine

Opening times Monday to Saturday : 7 am to 7 pm Sunday : 8 am to 1.30 pm and 3.30 pm to 7pm

Suggestion: We have not been inside

 

Louvre ARRIVE HERE AT 3pm for discounted price - till 6pm

This is one of the greatest art collections in the world. The core collection was formed by François 1, and added to by Henri II and Catherine de Medicis. The Old Master collection was developed by Louis XIV and important Spanish and Dutch works acquired by Louis XVI. Most painting lovers come to view the exceptional collection of European paintings which range from I400 to I900. The Grand Gallery running along the south of the building is a stupendous piece of design which showed the world what a picture gallery should look like. Pierced by large windows, its walls are hung with some of the finest works of the Italian Renaissance. On this level is also the Spanish collection and the large scale nineteenth-century French paintings. On the upper level artists from northem Europe are well represented, along with earlier paintings from the French school. Louvre_Pyramide.jpg (30764 bytes)

Not to miss

After spending around 2 hours, you can become acquainted with some of the most famous paintings in the world. For example, try to interpret the enigmatic smile of Leonardo Da Vinci's Mona Lisa, or admire the pertect proportions of the Venus of Milo (Sully wing). Michelangelo, Bellin, Donatello and Maillol are some of the great sculptors also represented here.

How to get there With your back to the Place de la Concorde, enter the Tuileries Gardens and walk straight ahead. Pass the Tuileries Gardens as well as those of the Louvres, and through the flower gardens planted in 1909. Now, you are surrounded by the Louvre. Today the palace and gardens cover an area of over 40 hectares. Metro line 1 : Palais-Royal, Louvre. Buses : 21, 24, 27, 39, 48, 67, 68, 69, 72, 75, 7 ,81,85, 95. The entrance is at the central pyramid.

Opening times Thursday to Sunday : 9am -6 pm Monday and Wednesday : 9am-l0 pm Closed Tuesday Limited display and temporary exhibitions in Hall Napoleon Wed to Mon 9am-l0pm.

Suggestion: Must go and must get lost inside

 

 

The Panthéon

Louis XV, when he fell ill at Metz in 1744, vowed that if he recovered he would replace St-Genevieve Abbey's half ruined church by a magnificent edifice. In 1791, the Constituent Assembly decided that the church should receive the bodies of great men who died for the liberty of France. Victor Hugo was buried within it in 1885. pantheon1.gif (13571 bytes)

History While Louis XV was taking care of his health, he promised that if he recovered, he would build a church to replace the half-ruined Abbey of St. Genevieve. However, due to the lack of funds, the project did not begin until 1755. And the architect Soufflot designed a building based on the Classical prototypes. This being a dome with a Latin cross which is fronted by a Greek temple facade. During the construction, Soufflet passed away and the church which is known today as the Pantheon, was finally completed in 1789 - the year of the French Revolution. This is a spectacular product of classical design surmounted by a huge dome.

 

This church was built to be a vast mausoleum to "receive the bodies of great men who died in the period of French liberty". The windows were closed, thus enforcing the solemnity of the interior. The building alternated between being a church and mausoleum throughout the last century. In 1985, following the collapse of stone work in the vaults, it has had to be closed for an indefinite period. Yet, you can still visit the crypt.

In the crypt lies the mortal remains of Frances honored deads : Mirabeau, Voltaire, Rousseau, Hugo and Zola joined recently by humanist novelist André Malraux.

Just a little note : When Francois Mitterrand came into office and being the first Socialist president of the Fifth Republic, the first official visit was to the Pantheon. There, he laid down a rose which is the symbol of the Socialist Party, in memory of Jean Jaures, the Socialist leader who was murdered in 1914.

The Panthéon.jpg (38615 bytes)

Design

The most spectacular aspect is the size of the Pantheon. On the ground floor, in the form of a cross, it has a length of 110 m (352 ft) and a breadth of 85 m (272 ft.). The dome with its height of 85m (272 ft) inspired the physicist Leon Foucault to carry out his first experiments with the pendulum in the middle of the 19th century. He wanted to demonstrated the rotation of the earth on its axis.

St-Etienne-du-Mont

In the neighbourhood of the Pantheon on the corner of rue Clovis, lies the sixteenth-century church of St.-Etienne-du-Mont. This church combines Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque elements. Here, contains the shrine of Saint Genevieve. This contains the shrine of Ste.Genevieve. The space is divided into three aisles by free-standing pillars connected by a narrow catwalk, and flooded with light by an exceptionally tall clerestory. The only rood screen in Paris is also in this Renaissance-style building. The clock tower Tour Clovis is in the Henri IV Iycee at the side of the church. This is the last surviving part of the Abbaye Sainte Genevieve. You reach the Sorbonne along the Rue Cujas. Founded by the canon Robert de Sorbon, confessor to Saint Louis, this building still contains a section of the Arts Faculty, and some of the offices of the Paris Academy.

How to get there Metro line 10: Cardinal Lemoine Bus : 21, 27, 38, 84, 85, 89 RER B : Luxembourg

Opening hours April to September: 9.30am to 6.30pm October to March:10am to 6.30pm

Suggestion: We have not been inside

 

The Bastille Opera

 

One of the most modern and controversial opera houses in Europe. Designed by the architect Carlos Ott, it was achieved for the bicentennial celebration of the French Revolution in 1989. His auditorium accommodates 2700 seat and his revolving stages make this opera house a masterpiece of technological wizardry.

History

The Bastille has alot of importance to the French history. By crossing the Seine and following the Boulevard de la Bastille, you will find the site of the Bastille Saint-Antoine, which was a major part of the defences ordered by Charles V, built from 1370. Louis XIV had the ramparts demolished but kept the Bastille as a luxury prison for people of quality.

The Bastille Opera.jpg (42138 bytes)

Promoted to the rank of a symbol of the arbitrariness of the old monarchy, &127;&127;the Bastille was stormed by the Parisians on 14th July 1789, and later razed. To remember not the surrender of the prison with its last seven occupants in 1789, but the July Revolution of 1830, which replaced the autocratic Charles X with the "Citizen King" Louis-Philippe, a column surmounted by the "Spirit of Liberty" on place de la Bastille was erected.

Four months after the birth of the Second Republic in that year, the workers took to the streets. All of eastern Paris was barricaded, with the fiercest fighting on rue du Faubourg-St-Antoine. The rebellion was quelled with the usual massacres and deportation of survivors, but it is still the less contentious 1789 Bastille Day that France celebrates. Political protestors have always, however, used place de la Bastille as a rallying point, and still do.

The bastille Opera

Built by the well-known architect Carlos Ott, the Bastille was inaugurated on July 14th 1989. This modern building was designed both to integrate it into the town of the suburb beginning just beside it, and the old faubourg Saint-Antoine, known for its working-class and the bustling. The bastille Opera was built with the mission to drag the people in and make them at home and make the lyric spectacle speak to them directly.

Bastille.gif (15832 bytes)

The Bastille Opera is a product of the latest technology.

A sign of the Bastille Opera's vocation is that the metro exit is in the hall where shopping area have also been planned.

The Neighborhood

The Bastille in the past Where at one time , this area was filled with low-rent housing, today, this is one of the most trendy areas of Paris. You can find anything from old tool shops and ironmongers alongside cocktail haunts and sushi bars; laundries and cobblers flank electronic notebooks outlets.

The Bastille Today

You'll find art galleries clustered around rues Keller, Tamandiers and the adjoining stretch of rue de Charonne. And, on rue de Lappe, a very Parisian tradition : the "bals musettes", or dance halls of the1930s "gai Paris", frequented between the wars by Piaf, Jean Gabin and Rita Hayworth.

Day and Night Life The most famous bals musette,"The Balajo", rue de Lappe was founded by Jo de France, who introduced glitter and spectacle into what were then seedy gangster dives, and brought Parisians from the other side of the city to savour the rue de Lappe lowlife. The rue de Lappe can still be as dodgy a place to be at night as it was in prewar days. The bouncers at clubs like the Chapelle des Lomobards, and at Balajo itself, the heavy drug scene and the uneasy mix of local residents have taken the soul away from a street that ten years ago deserved the special affection that Parisians of all sorts gave it.

Metro line 1,5 or 8 : Bastille

Suggestion: Not a priority

 

Picasso

The collection was started by works the French State received in payment of death duties after Picasso passed away in 1973, then in 1990, after the death of his widow. However, you will find that there are few paintings for the French state did not invest as did the Swiss, American and Soviet avant-garde collectors. It comprises more than 250 paintings, 160 sculptures, 1500 drawings, his entire engraving works, ceramics, etc... Contrary to the painting collection, the sculptures are unique, and contains everything of note made by Picasso including The Goal and the Bull 's Head - a cast bronze piece combining a bicycle saddle beneath a handle bar.

And most interesting is Picasso's own art collection which includes primitive Nimba masks from New Guinea, Grebo masks, Iberian bronzes, sketches by Giorgio de Chirico and Degas, and paintings by Corot, Cezanne, Chardin, Renoir, Matisse, and others. Not to miss the paintings of his family and wives which are very touching and most endearing. Throughout the chronological sequence, the photographs are vital in showing this charismatic man seen at work and at play by friends and family.

During the 1930's, during the Spanish Civil War, when Picasso was going through his worst personal and political crises, you will discover such portraits like Dora Maar and that of Marie-Therese. These events played an important role in Picasso's style. A decade later, Picasso was a member of the Communist Party - his cards are on show along with a drawing entitied Staline à la Santé (Here's to Stalin), and his delegate credentials for the 1948 World Bongress of Peace. The Massacre en Coree (1951) demonstrates the lasting pacifist commitment in his work.

The modem museological accoutrements are all provided : audiovisuals and films in a special cinema, biographical and crhical details displayed in each room and a library.

How to get there Metro line 1 or 8 : Chemin-Vert, St-Paul, St-Sebastian Buses : 29, 96, 75, 86, 87

Opening times April to september: 9.30 am to 6 pm October to March: 9.30 am to 5.30 pm

Suggestion: Must see

 

Places des Vosges
(high residential) next to Bastile and Opera Bastile close to Picasso Musee

Suggestion: On your way to Picasso


The Marais

Because it was near the Louver, the quarter started to grow up in the XIVth century. But it's only in the XVIIth century that it became the residence place in fashion for wealthy people. That's why splendid town houses can be sees such as the hôtel de Soubise, the hôtel de Rohan, the hôtel Salé or the hôtel Carnavalet. In the center of the quarter, the famous place des Vosges has been built by Henri IV. It's a perfectly symmetric place with frontages in stone and bricks, stiff roofs made of slate and a first floor in arcade. Marais_-_Place_des_Vosges.jpg (41773 bytes)

 

Metro: Hôtel de Ville Open: Individual visitors: Monday: 10.30 a.m. (call to confirm on the previous Friday Tel.: 42 76 50 49); Monday to Friday by appointment

Suggestion: Just walk around

 

The Hotel de Ville

Etienne Marcel, a merchant provost, leaded the municipal administration in a house yet located on this place. But it's only on the XVIth century that the first town-hall has been built, in a Renaissance style. This one has been burnt during the Commune and rebuilt in 1883, in the same style. Turrets and statues decorate the front building. Inside, the beautiful Feast Room, several rooms consecrated to Sciences, Arts and Literature, and also the big staircase are worth seeing. The Hôtel de Ville.jpg (36693 bytes)

Suggestion: Just walk around.

 

The Sainte-Chapelle

The Sainte-Chapelle.jpg (40941 bytes) Built for the king Saint-Louis by Pierre de Montreuil, the chapel has been consecrated in 1248 to keep the relics of the thorny crown and the holy cross. There are two floors : that makes an elegant building whereas its length is the same than its height. In the first floor took place the servants and the inhabitants of the palace. The second floor was reserved to the royal family and to the officers. When it has been built, it stood in the center of the court of the royal palace and Saint-Louis could go from his room straight to there thanks to a gallery. Today, it's near the law courts and the Conciergerie. Its wonderful stained glass windows make the Sainte-Chapelle famous. Especially in the second floor, there are very big windows with, for example, the big rose of 1485 which represents the Apocalypse. Sainte Chapelle (courts) 27 Ffr. Métro: Cité, Saint-Michel, Chatelet 10.00 am to 4.30 pm from October 1st to March 31st.

Suggestion: We have not been inside

 

The Conciergerie

The Conciergerie has been built in 987 by Hugues Capet to be the palace of the capetians kings : underground remains, such as the kitchens or the guards room, have been found. It's the oldest jail of France as, since 1400, all the first floor is used in this way. Famous prisoners stayed there like Ravaillac Henri IV's murderer, but it's especially during the Terreur that prisoners came there before they were guillotined. There were for example : the queen Marie-Antoinette, Charlotte Corday, Danton, Robespierre, the general Hoche... At the Conciergerie entrance, we can see the Paris oldest clock, from the XIVth century. This fortress like building on the Ile-de-la-Cité, built by Philippe the Fair (1284-1314) now makes up much of the Palais de Justice complex. Its history as a place of imprisonment, torture, and death is is significant. That said, it does have some beautiful features, in particular the Salle des Gardes - the room of the guards with elegant vaulting - the colonnaded Salle des Gens d'Armes - 69m long and 27m wide now sometimes used for concerts - and the Cuisines with its four large fireplaces, each large enough to roast an entire ox. Built during the first quarter of the 14th century, the architects were Nicolas des Chaumes and Jean de Saint-Germer, although many elements of its construction are now forgotten, and obscure. The Conciergerie.jpg (23326 bytes)

Among its more famous prisoners were Marie Antoinette, Charlotte Corday, Danton, and Chenie. Marie Antoinette's cell is now a chapel to her memory, and includes her crucifix, and two portraits of her from life.

Metro: Cité Open: Winter: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. - Summer: 9.30 a.m.-6.30 p.m

Suggestion:
We have not been inside

 

 

The Tuileries Gardens

Tuileries.jpg (48680 bytes) They are the Paris biggest gardens with 24 hectares. In 1664, Le Nôtre, Louis XIV gardener, made here a wonderful French garden decorated with statues and a big octagonal pool. Located between the Louver and the Place de la Concorde, the Tuileries are a very busy place.

Suggestion: Just walk around

 

La Concorde

From most point of view, this is the most impressive Place in Paris, for the size as well for the Historic meaning. Originally constructed by Louis the XVth, it became the Revolution Place where Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette were executed by the guillotine and also more than 1000 other victims. The Directory, in hope of a better future, renamed it Concorde. The 3200-years-old Luxor Obelisk stand yet in the middle. Every year, each 14th July it become the culminating point of popular manifestations. La Concorde.jpg (14651 bytes)

Suggestion: just walk

 

Notre Dame

Dame.jpg (41936 bytes) No other building is so associated with the history or Paris as Notre-Dame. Pope Alexander III laid the first stone in 1163. The erection lasted more than 170 years. The cathedral is a Gothic masterpiece. Under the auspices of Bishop de Sully, the construction began in 1160 and was completed around 1345. During the construction many events occured such as in 1297, the King Louis IX was canonized as St. Louis, and in 1304, Philip the Fair celebrated his military victory by riding his horse up and down the aisles in the Notre Dame. By the 17th century, it was very fashionable to loathe the Notre Dame.

 

In the eighteenth century, alot of the medieval glass was removed simply to make the building lighter, and medieval fittings and furniture were often replaced by those in later styles. However, it was not until the French Revolution in 1793, when the Parisiens took a disliking to anything that was "royal" that they destroyed the statues and stripped all "anti-republican" art from inside as well as outside. And, in the following year, the French revolutionary government outlawed religion and Notre Dame was officially renamed as the Temple of Reason.

For some time, the French revolutionary government held propaganda shows in the building.

Yet, it was in 1802, when Napoleon ruled France that he reintroduced Catholicism with a solemn ceremony in the newly rechristened cathedral. Here is where he crowned himself emperor.

"Historical Landmark"

Notre-Dame is now viewed as one of the key defining examples of the style which was to become known as Ile-de-France Gothic, by the early nineteenth century few Parisians valued their medieval past very highly. Interest in the medieval building was largely rekindled by Victor Hugo's novel Notre-Dame de Paris. For twenty years, Viollet-le-Duc worked at Notre-Dame, adding the spire, consolidating the fabric and replacing missing or defaced sculptures.

The Inside

Interior, the immediately striking feature, if you can ignore the noise and movement, is the dramatic contrast between the darkness of the nave and the light falling on the first clustered pillars of the choir, placing an emphasis on the special nature of the sanctuary. Nearly two-thirds glass, it is the end walls of the transepts that admit all this light as well as the two magnificent rose windows coloured in imperial purple. These, the vaulting, the soaring shafts reaching to the springs of the vaults, are all definite Gothic elements, yet, inside as well as outside, there remains a strong sense of Romanesque in the stout round pillars of the nave and the general sense of four-squareness.

"Not to miss"

Before leaving, do not forget to walk round to the public garden at the east end for a view of the flying buttresses supporting the choir, and then along the riverside under the south transept, where you can sit in springtime under the cherry blossom.

And in front of the cathedral, in the square separating Notre Dame from Haussmann's police Headquarters, is what appears to be and smells like the entrance to an underground toilet. In fact, it is a very well-displayed and interesting museum, the crypte archeologique, in which are revealed the remains of the church which predated the cathedral, as well as streets and houses of the Cite dating as far back as the Roman era.

On the pavement by the west door of Notre-Dame is a spot known as kilometre zero. This is where all of the main road distances in France are calculated. For the Ile de la Cite is the symbolic heart of the country, or at least of the France that in the school books fights wars, undergoes revolutions and launches space rockets.

How to get there Metro line 4 : Cité, St-Michel RER B or C : St-Michel

Opening times 8 h to 18h45

Suggestion: We did not go up the Tower

 

MUSEE D'ORSAY 

Painting, sculpture, design and pastels, objects, pictures and architecture collections period from 1848 to 1914.

The collection is made up mostly from the late works of the Louvre and the Impressionist paintings from the nearby museum Jeu de Paume. You can also find works from the mid-nineteenth century to the early twentieth, chronologically bridging the Louvre and the Pompidou. Displayed on the ground floor, are earlier works devoted to sculpture with Dance. The hall has two rows of smaller rooms which are filled with works by Daumier, Millet, Rousseau, Corot and peasant paintings. In the last room, you can find such works by Courbet. And if you like Monet, there is a room dedicated to him. Other artists are present such as Bazille, Delacroix, Puvis de Chavanne, Degas and Gustave Moreau.

And if you are a fan of Oriental Art, you will enjoy the ingeniously designed gallery.

On the second floor you can see such popular art of the nineteenth century and rooms with furniture and decoration by well-respected "fin-de-siecle painters" (Monet, Pissaro, Renoir, Degas, Sisley and Van Gogh, Cezanne, Gauguin and Toulouse-Lautrec). The building is extremely large and much works have been taken out of reserve stock to fill out the displays. It is advised to start on the ground level with the Impressionist painters and then take the escalators to the upper floor to see the Impressionists and their successors.

How to get there Metro line 12: Solférino, Assemblée Nationale Bus : 24, 63, 68, 69, 73, 83, 84, 94. RER C : Musée d'Orsay

Opening times Tuesday to Sunday open 10 am - 6pm Tursday open until 10 pm - 9.45pm Sunday : 9 am -6 pm. Closed Monday,1er January, 1er May, 25 December.

Transports : Bus : 24 / 63 / 68 / 69 / 73 / 83 / 84 / 94

Suggestion: MUST see

 

Marmottan

The Marmottan Collections

Founder of the Mines de Bruay and Treasurer Paymaster in the Gironde region. Jules Marmottan is also a collector. His taste tends especially toward primitive German, Flemish and Italian painters. His son Paul devoted a large part of his time in researching the napoleonic period, as much in the historic as in artistic aspect. This passion naturally leaded him to bring together paintings, sculptures and stylish Empire furniture created most often for the Emperor and his family. As a result, his collection consist of, among other things, chiseled bronzes by Thomire, settees by Georges Jacob and paintings by Carle Vernet, Louis Boilly or François Xavier Fabre.

The Donop de Monchy Collection

Dr Georges de Bellio was the physician and friend of the impressionist painters and acquired several works bv Monet, Pissaro, Renoir and Sisley, notably "Impression of the rising sun" by Monet and "The effect of snow on the Boulevard Exterieur" by Pissaro. His only daughter, Victorine married Mr Ernest Donop de Monchy in 1893. Childless, Madame Donop de Monchy donated a part of the collection inherited from her father to the Marmottan Museum.

The Michel Monet Collection

The second son of Claude Monet and Camille Doncieux Michel Monet was passionnate about African art and hunting. He died childless in a car accident and bequeathed the Giverny property to the Academie des Beaux-Arts and the collection of paintings inherited from his father to the Marmottan Museum. This donation consists not only of eighty oils, four pastels and three drawings by Claude Monet but also the personal collection of the painters with works by his friends Boudin, Caillebotte, Guillaumin,Jongkind, Manet, Marisot Pisarro, Renoir and Rodin.

The Daniel Wildenstein Donation

In 1980, Daniel Wildenstein decided to donate the extraordinary collection of illuminators collected by his father Georges Wildenstein to the Marmottan Museum. He had sought out rare works of quality with a passion throughout his life and they are the sole decor in his office. This donation consists of 228 miniatures which, for ages have been detached portions from antiphonaries, missals or books of hours. It is particulary rich in French and Italian work, but also has pieces from the German, English, Flemish and Dutch schools.

The Duhem Donation

Henri Duhem, a descendant from an old Flemish family, was born in Douai in 1860. A lawyer at the har of the court of Douai, he renounced his career to devote himself completely to painting. In 1899, he met Mane Sergeant, a young woman painter whom he married the following year. Comrades in arms to the post-impressionnists, Henri was, like Gustave Caillebote, a passionate collector. He acquired the paintings that he liked, those of his friends and their immediate precursors, and succeeded in forming a very representative group consisting in paintings, pastels and sculptures by Boudin, Carrière, Corot, Gauguin, Guillaumin, Monet, Pissarro, Renoir, Rodin, Lebourg and Le Sidaner. Responding to the wishes of the couple, their adopted daughter Nelly Sergeant-Duhem leagued the entire collection to the Academie des Beaux-Arts in 1987.

How to get there Metro line 9 : "La Muette" Bus : 22, 32, 52, PC.

Opening times Tuesday to Sunday 10 am to 5.30 pm cashier closes at 5 pm Closed on Monday Entrance fee

Suggestion: We have not been inside

 

Saint-Denis Basilica

Built near the place where Denis, the first bishop of Lutetia, has been buried, it's the French kings' necropolis. During twelve centuries, nearly all the kings were buried there, from Dagobert from Louis XVIII. But all the monuments have been emptied during the French Revolution. The gothic basilica, as it could be seen today, has been erected by the Father Suger, between 1137 and 1144. The monument were at the origin of the inspiration of the architects of Chartres, Senlis or Meaux cathedrals. Its choir is one of the first by its dimensions and its nave is very graceful thanks to Pierre de Montreuil. Among all the monuments in the basilica, we can especially notice : the Dagobert, Henri II and Catherine de Medicis' tombs, the Pépin-le-Bref and Charles Martel's gisants, the Louis XII and François I's monuments. Basilik1.gif (29052 bytes)

The old Royal Abbey of St Denis has been for centuries the headlight of artistic, political and spiritual history of the Franc world. Its abbey-church, christened as a basilica from the origin, rises on the very site of a Gallo-roman cemetery, burial place of Denis martyrized around 250. His own history was embellished by legends from Vth until XIVth century.The most famous being the one presenting him carrying his severed head, from Montmartre, place of his martyrdom, to Saint Denis his burial place, at the very spot where several edifices were dedicated to him from Vth until XIIIth century.

Beyond a Carolingian crypt remnant of the edifice consecrated by Carolus Magnus in 775, the Basilica keeps the memory of two major buildings determining for the evolution of religious architecture. The Abott Suger, early humanist, tireless traveler, kings counselor and fine politician rebuilt the two ends of the building from 1135 to 1144,. The choir creates a true hymn to light, as a manifesto of new gothic art. The double deambulatory and his surrounding chapels create an uninterrupted crown of light thanks specially to the split of the bays in each chapel. In 1231, Saint Louis orders the edifice's largest part to the famous architect Pierre de Montreuil.

Nicknamed because of its brightness, the "Lucerna", the lantern, the XIIIth century basilica is a novelty notably by the new use of fasciculated pillars (pillars made of bundles of small columns), by the openwork triforium and the immensity of the roses illuminating a transept of exceptional width intended to receive the royal tombs.

Place of memory, since high Middle-Age, the Dyonisian monastery linked its destiny to the monarchy asserting itself little by little as the privileged burial place of the royal dynasties under cover of Saint Denis cult. Dagobert is the first king to be buried there. Several Carolingians will be interred there among the Charles Martel, Pepin le bref and Charles le Chauve. It is only after Hugues Capet that almost all the Capetians will be buried at St Denis. 42 kings, 32 queens, 63 princes and princess, 10 great men of the kingdom were laid there to rest. With more than 70 Renaissance monumental tombs, the royal necropolis of the Basilica asserts itself today as the most important group of funerary sculptures from XIIth until XVIth century.

The One hundred years war, (against England), the religions wars (Protestants vs., Catholics), political troubles contribute to the decline of the Royal Abbey of St Denis long before the Revolution.

In 1793, revolutionaries attack the symbol of monarchy. The tombs are disgruntled, some destroyed. Exhumed bodies are thrown into common graves. The Basilica escapes total destruction. In 1806, Napoleon Ist commanded the rehabilitation of the edifice. Then Louis XVIII handed back its necropolis function to the Abbey church. The rehabilitation works go on all along the XIXth century directed by the architects Debret then Viollet-le-Duc from 1846. The outrage of centuries didn't affect the evocative power of memory in this original landmark of French nation, remaining as a jewel case for light.

Transports From Paris Motorway 1 exit Saint-Denis RER line D Saint-Denis Métro line 13 : Saint-Denis-Basilique Tramway from Bobigny to Saint-Denis station

Opening times April to September: 10 am to 7 pm Sunday:12 pm to 7 pm

October to march: 10 am to 5 pm Sunday: 12 pm to 5 pm

Suggestion: We have not been here yet

 

The Catacombs

The Catacombs.jpg (27659 bytes) Remains of six millions of Parisians are in 20 meters under Paris. Between 1785 and the beginning of the hausmannian works, remains from Parisian cemeteries were put together in the Montrouge old stone-pits. In 1810 this place were called « Catacombs ». During the World War 2, the general quarter of French Resistance were established there. Walking in the galleries, you can read philosophic maxims written on the stones among skulls accumulation.

Catacombs The un-assuming entrance to the catacombs is right across the street from the Denfert-Rochereau Metro station exit.

Suggestion: We have not been here yet

 

The Defense

It's the quarter of international business. Its first skyscraper has been built in 1964 and now there are 48 towers. The square is ornamented with fountains, trees and contemporary sculptures (Miro, Calder, César...) : it's a kind of museum in the open. The CNIT (National Center of Industry and Technology) is one of the most important building.
Otto Von Spreckelsen realized the Grande Arche. It's a huge monument : the cathedral Notre-Dame could be wholly contained under the arch. This building is the end of the Triumphal Way drawn by Le Nôtre at the XVIIIth century. Thanks to panoramic elevators, you can go to a view point where you can see the Etoile- Concorde-Louvre axis.
The Défense.jpg (20744 bytes)

Suggestion: The "city"

 

The Garnier Opera

The Garnier Opera.jpg (26197 bytes)  

It were built in 1862, at the same time than the Haussmann's works, for Napoléon III. It has been dedicated in 1875. It's one of the bigger theater of the world : 172 meters of length, 101 of width and 79 of height. The architect, Charles Garnier, used various materials to build it : stone, marble, bronze. In front of the entrance stands a reproduction of Carpeaux' sculpture called « La Danse ». Inside the monument, three elements are worth seeing :

Ø the Great Staircase in white marble with a red and green marbled balustrade Ø the Main Foyer with its mosaic ceiling Ø the auditorium where Chagall has decorated the false ceiling in 1964

History

Built in 1860 by the young architect Charles Garnier with his vision of a new opera, he designed the "Opera Garnier" in the style of the Second Empire. It was completed in 1875 in the early days of the Third Republic. It is the largest opera theatre in the world staging enough for 450 players.

It is of interest to note that the massive opera house was constructed above a subterranean river that still teeds an underground artificial lake to this day. The Phantom of the Opera, created by Gaston Leroux, is said to continue his sinister doings down below.

Design

The theatre is richly decorated. The grand escalier, the pompous staircase at the entrance, leads to the grand foyer, through which one proceeds to the floridly ornamented loges of the auditorium. A grand flight of ten steps leads up to the entrance hall with seven vaulted arcades separated by groups of sculpture. On the landing, the foyer opens on to a loggia with sixteen double columns flanking the french windows topped by busts of composers. Lastly a great carved pediment surmounted by two large bronze groups allows one to see the green roof of the low dome covering the great hall and the Apollo holding up his Iyre above the proscenium arch between the audience and the stage.

Interior as well as exterior, you can notice the play of white stone, marble of all colours and gilded bronze. This heightens the majesty of the proportions. The new ceiling frescoes of the Opera were conceived and painted in lively colors by Marc Chagall in 1964. Hanging in the center is an immense crystal chandelier weighing more than eight tons.

"The Opera"

The Opera is a Music and Dance Academy and a place of enchantment and marvels, impregnated with the passions which have found expression. Famous composers and choreographers, instrumentalists, singers and dance stars, have given the best of themselves, reaching the sublime and sometimes reaching despair. Here the most spectacular intrigues of a romantic world were formed and dissolved, on the stage, in the stalls and boxes, and in the wings of this mythological palace.

Tickets for ballet performances at the Opera are hard to come by. However, if you are unable to obtain some, you must try to experience the gold and velvet ambiance of the building itself (the main entrance hall is open trom 11 a.m. to 4.30 p.m.).

Suggestion: Good to walk by, may be take a picture inside at the lobby

 

Père-Lachaise cemetery

The most famous and the biggest cemetery of Paris were created in 1804 by Napoleon. Its name comes from Louis XIV's spiritual director. It takes place on a woody hill and its plans have been drawn by Brongniart. At the end of the Commune, there were bloody fights : the 28th may of 1871, insurgents were shot in front of the Mur des Fédérés. Two monuments especially are worth seeing : a sculpture by P. Landowski in the lower part of the Colombarium and the War Memorial by P.A. Bartholomé which is one of the most important sculpture in the cemetery and dominates the main avenue. Among famous people buried in the Père-Lachaise, there are : Lafontaine, Delacroix, Molière, Daudet, Chopin, Beaumarchais, Michelet, Balzac, Haussmann, Sarah Bernardt, Colette, Proust, Jim Morisson, for example ! Père-Lachaise cemetery.jpg (13652 bytes)

History

At begining the Père Lachaise" was a poor district, with many outlaws, winding streets, shady avenues. It's located on a old hill of ?Champ l'Evêque", where a rich merchant built his house in 1430. In the 17th century the Jésuit, converted it into a hospice for members of their order. It became a meeting place under influence of ?Père Lachaise" Louis XIV's confessor. In 1803, under Napoléon, the Prefect of Paris bought it to built a cemetery. It was an incredibly successful piece of land speculation. Nicolas Frochot, the urban planner who bought the land, persuaded the civil authorities to reburied Molière, La Fontaine, Abélard and Héloïse in his new cemetery. Quickly the Père-Lachaise became the ultimate symbol for the rich and successful. Ironically Frochot, even sold a plot to the original owner for considerably more money than the price he had paid for the entire site. Even today, the rates are still extremely high. Some of the most celebrated dead have unremarkable tombs while those whose fame died with them or who were nonentities to start with have the most expressive monuments.

What to see

Not to miss the ex-Doors lead singer Jim Morrison's tomb, located in Division 6, where a motley assembly of devotees roll spliffs against a backdrop of Doors' Iyrics and declarations of love and drug consumption, graffitied in every western language on every stone in sight. Femme fatale Colette's tomb, close to the main entrance in division 4, is very plain though always covered in flowers. The same is true for the divine Sarah Bernhardt's (division 44) and the great chanteuse Edith Piaf's (division 97, under her married name of Mme. Lamboukas). Marcel Proust lies in his family's conventional tomb (division 85),erected to honour the medical fame of his father.

In division 92, nineteenth-century journalist Victor Noir - shot for daring to criticize a relative of Napoleon III - lies flat on his back, fully clothed, his top hat fallen by his feet. His prostrate figure has been a magnet not for anti-censorship campaigners, but for infertile women rubbing themselves against him as a sexual charm. Close by, a forgotten and unlamented French diplomat must turn in his grave with envy - he provided himself with an enormous tapering phallus, admirably higher than the trees around it in division 48. In division 71 two men lie together hand in hand - not a gay couple (as far as anyone knows); but a pair of balloonists who went so high they died from lack of oxygen.

Other famous people include Felix Faure (division 4), French president, who died in the arms of his mistress in the Elysee palace in1899. Draped in a French flag like a sheet, his head is raised and his hand seems to be groping the flag pole as U it might be his lover. Gericault (with the Raft of the Medusa on the side of his tomb)reclines on cushions of stone (division 12), paint palette in hand, his neck and bony face taut with concentration.

Painter Corot (division 24) and novelist Balzac (division 48) both have superb busts, Balzac looking particularly satisfied with his life. Chopin (division 11) has a willowy muse weeping for his loss. The most impressive of the individual tombs is Oscar Wilde's, for which Jacob Epstein sculpted a strange Pharaonic winged messenger.

Approaching Oscar Wilde's grave from the centre of the cemetery, you pass the tomb of Auguste Blanqui (division 91), after whom so many French streets are named. Described by Karl Marx as the nineteenth century's greatest revolutionary, he served his time in jail - 33 years in all - for his political activities that spanned the 1830 Revolution to the Paris Commume. Below Blanqui's and Wilde's graves - along with Victor Noir and Raphael Roger - you'll find in division 96 the grave of Modigliani and his lover Jeanne Herbuterne, who killed herself in crazed grief a few days after he died in agony from meningitis. Laura Marx, Karl's daughter, and her husband Paul Lafargue, who committed suicide together in 1911, lie in this southeast corner of the cemetery too (division 76).

But it is the monuments to the collective, violent deaths that have the power to change a sunny outing to Père-Lachaise into a much more sombre experience. In division 97, you'll find the memorials to those who died in the Nazi concentration camps, to executed Resistance fighters and to those who were never accounted for in the genocide of the last world war. The sculptures are relentless in their images of inhumanity, of people forced to collaborate in their own degradation and death.

Finally, there is the Mur des Fedérés (division 76), the wall where the last troops of the Paris Commume were lined up and shot in the final days of the battle. The man who ordered their execution, Adolphe Thiers, lies in the centre of the cemetery in division 55.

Increased six-fold during the last century,the 100,000 sepulchres now receive a million visitors a year.

How to get there Metro line 2 : Père Lachaise, Philippe Auguste Bus : 61, 69, 26

Opening times Daily 8 am -7 pm.

Suggestion: We have not been here yet

 

The Place du Tertre

The Place du Tertre.jpg (43114 bytes) It's the tourist center of Montmartre but also the most elevated point in Paris with 130 meters. Pictures are on the view on the place and artists offer people to draw their portrait. Among cafés and restaurants which surround the place, there is the center of the « free town of Montmartre » created in 1920 by J.Dépaquit to keep the Bohemia style of Montmartre.

Suggestion: Cool

 

The Sacré-Coeur

After the Franco-Prussian War of 1870, some Catholics vowed to erect a church in the heart of Montmartre. The worked started in 1876 and was completed in 1914. The cathedrale was consecrated in 1919 after the victory in World War 1. The edifice is now very much a part of

History Built on the Montmartre hill the Roman-Byzantine basilica of the Sacred Heart dominates Paris. It has been constructed in devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus after the 1870 disaster, the capture of Paris by the Prussians, and the civil war which steeped the capital in blood. The archbishop of Paris in 1872 approved the wish of a Parisian, Mr. Legentil, to build a sanctuary dedicated to the heart of Jesus-Christ, "true God and real man", present in the Holy Sacrament in display day and night. Therefore he chose the site where Saint Denis was beheaded because of his faith in late IIIrd century. In 1873 the Assemblee Nationale voted a law declaring the building of public interest. The basilica's construction was financed by every parish in France. In 1875, work began. Unfortunately, with the breakout of the First World War, the consecration planned for 1914 had to be postponed until after the war.

The Sacré-Coeur.jpg (17177 bytes)

Architecture

The basilica is built on a vast scale to take full advantage of its commanding site. The architect Abadie was inspired by the Romano-Byzantine style. The domes, elongated into ovoid forms, the 80-metre bell-tower from which the 19-tons Savoyarde bell can be heard, the whiteness of this monument which overlooks the whole of Paris, henceforth makes it one of the major landmarks of the Paris scenery. The building's extraordinary whiteness is a result of the material used in its construction: Chateau-Landon stone bleaches with age.

The impressive façade with its triple-arched portico is surmounted by two bronze equestrian statues of St. Joan of Arc and St. Louis by H. Lefebvre, and the climax of the overall design is the statue of Christ, his hand raised in blessing. In contrast to the exterior, the interior is extensively decorated with mosaics: those in the apse over the high altar were designed by Luc-Olivier Merson and show Christ adored by the Virgin, St. Joan of Arc and St. Louis.

How to get there Metro line 2 or 12 : Abbesses (then take funiculaire) Anvers (then take funiculaire), Barbes-Rochechouart, Chateau-Rouge, Lamarck-Caulaincourt. Bus: 54, 80, 95 and Montmartrobus (from Métro Jules Joffrin or Pigalle)

Suggestion: Big Church

Versailles

Among the most prestigious monuments of the world's artistic heritage and certainly the finest and most complete achievement of 17th century French art.
You can see:

a. Chateau where the State Apartments are located (rooms of Kinds and Queens)
b. the King's quarters (separate entrance and fee)
c. the Grand Trianon, smaller palace (20min walk from Chateau, or take the little train from the garden)
d. the Petit Trianon, even smaller palace (20min walk from Chateau, or take the little train from the garden)
e. the park (a fee if there is a show)
f. the Coach Museum (carriages) (at the right side of the Chateau before the area where the buses park)
chateau1.jpg (7149 bytes)

Ideally, you need a full day to see everything. You may however want to just see the Chateau (State Apartments), take a quick look at the gardens from one of the windows and return to Paris.

Check the website for 360degrees pictures.

How to get there:  Take RER C (yellow line) direction "Versailles RG chateau".  Note that from the same train platform go through trains for other directions and if you are not carefull you will end up somewhere else. Get off at VERSAILLES CHATEAU  (25-30min ride from Paris)

Opening Times:
Chateau: Open daily except Mondays and certain holidays: may-september 9 am to 6.30 pm ; october-april : 9 am to 5.30 pm
Grand Trianon and  Petit Trianon: Open daily Monday included: november - march 12 to 5.30 pm; april - october 12h to 18h30
Gardens: Open daily except in very inclement weather May–September: Opens 7 am; October–April: Opens 8 am
Closes, depending on the season, between 5.30 and 9.30 pm
Coach Museum: Open Saturdays and Sundays May–September: 2.00pm – 6.30 pm, October–April: 2.00 pm – 5.30 pm

Entrance Fee:
Chateau (where the main rooms "State Apartments" are) 45FF; 35FF after 3:30pm. Free the first Sunday of each month from October 1st till March 31st inclusive.
King's room: Extra 25FF
Grant Trianon: 25FF; reduced 15FF
Petit Trianon: 15FF, reduced 10FF
Combined Grand and Petit Trianon: 30FF; reduced 20FF
Coach Museum: 12FF

You can get a "Return Train Ticket+Pass" for 99FF/person from the St. Michele Notre Dame RER station. Once you arrive at the VERSAILLES CHATEAU  (25-30min ride) station, you must exchange the ticket for a Pass.  The Pass allows you access to the "Grands Appartements (Chateau)", the "Petit Trianon", the "Grand Trianon", and the "Bosquets ou Carroses (Coach Museum)". You go directly to gate B2 and you do not have to wait on line/que.  If you want to walk in the gardens, you have to pay an extra fee.

Suggestion: We did not go to the Grand and Petit Trianon because we did not have time. They are about 20min walk from the Chateau unless you take the little train at the garden for an extra fee.  It also appears that not many people go to the Coach Museum which has about 15 carriages.  So if you are only go to go to the Grand Apartments (Chateau) and may be the King's room, you are better off to get tickets at the counter at the Chateau rather than the combined "Return Train Ticket+Pass".   Note however that with the Train/Pass you do not have to wait on lines. We went on a Sunday in the middle of the summer and there were no lines at the ticket sales....

 

Shopping areas

Lafayette Galeries and the sourounding area.

Walk around Metro station Madeleine, Opera,

 

Food for Tourists

Place St. Michel (RER station Saint Michel)

Suggested walks

Take metro to Bastille and walk on St. Antoine (pass by Place de Vosges), turn right to go up to Picasso Museum, return to Rue de Rivoli, walk to Hotel de Ville, turn right up on Rue de Renard to go to the Pompidou Center [Metro: Rambuteau], walk back down to the river, cross to the island where Notre Dame is, from there walk to Conciergerie and then to the Louvre. From the Louvre, walk towards the big Wheel and from there up one Avenue Des Champs Elysses all the way to the Arc de Triomphe Etoile

Take Metro to Funiculaire de Montmarte, take the circular bus that takes you up to the Church Sacre Coeur. From there walk down through the streets to Galeries Lafayette, Place de L'Opera, Place Madeleine and all the small streets with the expensive shops there. Goto Place de La Concorde, cross the river and visit Museum D'Orsay.

Greek Churches
Cathedrale Saint Etienne, 7 rue Georges Bizet, 75116 Paris 01 47 208235
Eglise des Saints Constantine et Helene, 2bis, Rue Laferriere, 75009 Paris 01 48 783553

Travel Plan

To SEE Day 1 Day 2 Day 3 Day 4
George Pompidou Center        
Arc de Triomphe        
Champs-Elysees        
National Museum of Modern Art        
The Trocadero        
The Eiffel Tower        
The Invalides        
Museum Rodin        
The Madeleine        
Louvre        
The Pantheon        
The Bastile Opera        
Picasso        
Places des Vosges        
The Marais        
Hotel de Ville        
The Sainte-Chapelle        
The Conciergerie        
The Tuileries Gardens        
La Concorde        
Notre Dame        
Museum D' Orsay        
Marmottan        
Saint-Denis Basilica        
The Catacombs        
The Defense        
The Garnier Opera        
Pere-Lachaise cemetery        
The Place du Tertre        
The Sacre-Coeur        
Versallies